With spring finally here, we can start thinking about baseball season! The library has a lot of books, movies, and more about
- Baseball: a history of America's favorite game by George Vecsey. A survey of the game that includes historical landmark events and personalities, from baseball's ancient beginnings up through the present day.
- Baseball, a Celebration! by James Buckley, Jr. A picture-rich volume that displays baseball history through famous and less-known photographs.
- The Lords of Baseball: a wry look at a side of the game the fan seldom sees, the front office by Harold Parrott. Baseball management gets an in-depth look in this historical examination of the famous Brooklyn Dodgers.
- The Ultimate Baseball Book by Daniel Okrent and Harris Lewine. Just what it sounds like - an encyclopedic text devoted to all things baseball and baseball history.
- Juiced: wild times, rampant 'roids, smash hits, and how baseball got big by Jose Canseco. A memoir by one of baseball's biggest stars and most notorious steroid users provides a look at how the era of body-builder baseball began.
- Baseball, a series by Ken Burns. Documentary maker Ken Burns digs in to baseball history in this nine-volume set.
- Field of Dreams, the classic midwestern baseball story starring Kevin Costner.
- Bad News Bears, a remake of the classic starring Billy Bob Thornton as the Coach.
- Bull Durham, a celebration of small-town minor league teams, starring Kevin Costner and Susan Sarandon.
- Baseball Forever!: 50 years of classic radio play-by-play highlights from the Miley Collection. Enjoy this audio collection of baseball history highlights.
Save the date: On May 21st at 1:30, UW-Milwaukee professor Mariann Maris will present on the history of baseball with a special focus on the history of baseball parks and stadiums. Join us for this special presentation at the library!