Monday, July 15, 2013

THE NATURAL

Growing up, The Natural was one of my favorite movies.  I had seen it many times, but I never knew it was a book until I was in college.  Of course, I wanted to read it, so I found a copy at the library.  You can imagine my surprise at finding out that the book and the movie are really quite different!  

The Natural tells the story of Roy Hobbs as he attempts to become the best there ever was.  It is a story of pride, second chances, and baseball.

Come to Creekside Place on Thursday, July 25 at 6:00 to watch the movie and to have a discussion about both the book and the movie.

Other works by Bernard Malamud:
The Assistant
The Fixer
God's Grace
Idiots First
The Magic Barrel
The Tenants
The Complete Stories

Books similar to The Natural:
Baseball's Best Short Stories edited by Paul D. Staudohar
Blockade Billy by Stephen King
Shoeless Joe by W.P. Kinsella
Slider by Patrick Robinson
Dirty Water by Mary-Ann Tirone Smith

Other Baseball Movies:
Field of Dreams
For Love of the Game
Moneyball
Bull Durham
Bad News Bears
Mr. 3000
A League of Their Own

Picture from http://syndetics.com/index.php?isbn=1424850703/lc.jpg&client=arrowheadlbs&type=rn12

No comments:

Post a Comment